ExaGrid Systems, Inc. is the only backup systems vendor to have solved the backup problem – forever.
When ExaGrid entered the disk backup with deduplication market in 2006, we knew that backup and restore was becoming a big problem. After all, backup storage is big – 50 to 100 times bigger than primary storage.
But before we decided to fix it, we asked hundreds of backup professionals to describe the problems they faced on a daily basis – and the solution they wanted so they could have total trust in their data protection process.
- Give us a consistent backup window that doesn’t grow as data grows
- Give us the shortest possible backup window
- Make it easy and quick to restore or recover data
- Please fix it once and fix it forever
We realized that disk-based backup with deduplication only solved part of the problem and decided not to copy the #1 vendor in the sector – unlike so many others – because it was obvious that their scale-up architecture provided just a temporary fix and had fundamental and costly flaws.
Since then, ExaGrid has revolutionized how organizations back up and protect their data. Our cost-effective disk-based backup systems help IT organizations solve two of the most pressing issues they face today: how to protect and manage an ever-increasing amount of data, and how to do so at less cost.
Becoming the best at backup by making five commitments to our customers
Right from the outset, ExaGrid decided that if it was going to solve the backup challenge forever, it would need to make a number of vital commitments to its customers:
- No backup window growth regardless of data growth – ExaGrid’s scale-out architecture handles data growth very differently than our scale-up competitors. We don’t treat our appliances as standalone devices and instead connect them in a grid to get all the scaling benefits that a grid provides. As a result, as data grows and capacity is added, processing power is also added which fixes your backup window forever.
- The shortest backup window -- Because each of our appliances includes additional elements of performance, as data grows and capacity is added, processing power is also added. Put simply, when workloads are increased, the processing power of the architecture is also increased. This means we can deliver the shortest backup window and that it won’t grow as data grows.
- Fastest restores, tape copies, and recovery from a disaster -- ExaGrid’s unique landing zone enables us to retain a full copy (i.e. non-deduplicated) of the most recent backup and then carry out the deduplication post processing. This minimizes the amount of data that moves in the backup process and enables us to deliver a very rapid restore because - unlike our competitors - we don’t need to rehydrate the data.
- VM instant recoveries in minutes -- ExaGrid’s unique landing zone means that with ExaGrid and Veeam, you can have the benefits of both instant restore and deduplication with no tradeoff. ExaGrid’s high-speed landing zone maintains a full copy of the latest Veeam backups in their original, non-deduplicated formats. This allows users to instantly recover and run a VM from the ExaGrid system if the primary VM is unavailable, enabling them to meet their recovery time objective (RTO).
- Lowest cost solution up front and over time with no forklift upgrades or obsolescence, and our price guarantee -- ExaGrid employs a scale-out architecture which adds computing power with capacity. As a result, you can match your appliance to your current needs – thus keeping costs low. With us, there are no forklift upgrades and no obsolescence as your existing appliances will always work with the new models we deliver. Furthermore, with our price guarantee, you will never pay any more for any appliance than the original price you paid regardless of when you add the same appliance in the future.
Growth based on award-winning technology and service
ExaGrid knows that the IT organization of today will look very different 36 months from now: more agile, more virtual, perhaps more closely audited. Because there are no theoretical limits to the ExaGrid scale-out solution, it enables customers to focus talent, energy, and budget on strategic initiatives with the confidence and peace of mind that their business has solved the backup challenge forever and can access its most valuable information in the event of a system failure.
With offices and distribution worldwide, the company serves a large list of customers across a variety of major industry sectors. ExaGrid has more than 1,800 customers. These customers soon turn to advocates when they experience the risk-free backup environment that ExaGrid’s systems create. That’s why the company has the largest number of published customer success stories of any backup vendor.
The company has been named to the Wall St. Journal list of the Top 50 VC-Backed Companies and has also received numerous industry awards, including InfoWorld's Technology of the Year award, Storage Magazine Product of the Year, DCIG “Best in Class,” and Info-Tech Disk Backup Champion.