New hybrid cloud offering, Secure BDRcloud, enables customers to replicate backup data for DR to an offsite cloud, reducing or eliminating use of tape
Westborough, Mass., March 7, 2013 – ExaGrid Systems, Inc. (www.exagrid.com) the leader in scalable and cost-effective disk-based backup solutions with data deduplication, and ATScloud, the premiere hybrid-cloud solution provider, today announced a strategic partnership to offer customers cloud-based Disaster Recovery as a Service (DRaaS). New and existing ExaGrid customers now have the option to replicate their backup data to ATScloud’s secure cloud infrastructure, reducing or eliminating the need to vault tapes off-site for disaster protection. This announcement marks the first of multiple cloud-based solutions ExaGrid will offer in 2013 that extend the core product’s disk backup with deduplication capabilities to enable DR in the cloud, and ExaGrid is the first and only disk backup with deduplication vendor to offer customers multiple options for cloud-based disaster recovery protection of their backup data.
This new joint Backup and Disaster Recovery (BDR) solution, Secure BDRcloud, will enable ExaGrid customers to realize the following benefits:
- Secure storage of data in Tier IV data centers throughout the US
- No up-front capital costs for off-site storage of backup data for DR
- Flexibility to pay for only what is used, avoiding the need to overbuy capacity
- Ability to add or remove capacity quickly as needs dictate
- Advanced options for DR audit and rapid recovery of backup data in the event of a disaster
Gartner, Inc. predicted that by 2014, 30 percent of midsized companies (those with annual revenues or operating budgets of between $150 million and $1 billion) will have adopted cloud-based disaster recovery, which is up from just 1 percent in 2011. In addition, a survey by Forrester Research found that almost three quarters of IT managers whose organizations have already adopted infrastructure as a service said access to improved disaster recovery ranked as either very important or high on the importance scale in their decision, according to an October 2012 article by FCW magazine.
ExaGrid’s disk-based backup with deduplication system avoids the hassles and delays associated with restoring from tapes for on-site recoveries and also is uniquely suited for instant on-site recoveries by keeping the most recent backups intact. Because ExaGrid keeps a full copy of the latest backup in complete form ready to restore, it avoids the time-consuming “rehydration” process required of other disk backup systems that only store deduplicated data. Now, with the addition of the ATScloud partnership, ExaGrid extends its already robust offerings for off-site disaster recovery protection.
“We’re very pleased with the ability to have our backup data offsite and online at the same time. And the pay-as-you-go model made a lot of sense for us, giving us the ability to easily expand as data grows,” said John Rowe, data/information systems engineer for North Central Texas Trauma Regional Advisory Council. “Offsite tape can be a nightmare, and our major goal was having a real-time offsite backup copy for redundancy that we can easily pull back across the WAN in case our primary site went down. ExaGrid and ATS integrated seamlessly with our existing backup infrastructure, and now life is easier and I can be comfortable at night knowing we have a high availability copy of our backup data offsite without the management headaches of tape or having to manage our own offsite DR.”
ATScloud is known for its enterprise-level infrastructure that features technical innovation in a highly secured, protected private cloud environment.
- Marc Crespi, vice president of product management for ExaGrid Systems: “With the new Secure BDRcloud offering in partnership with ATScloud, organizations have a new option for replicating data from the primary site disk-based backup system from ExaGrid, to a cloud securely managed by ATScloud. Customers that are looking to rid themselves of tape for off-site retention purposes now have a highly flexible and cost-effective option to achieve world-class protection against major data loss.”
- Steve Willard, EVP, business development for ATScloud: “For organizations using tape to maintain a complete set of backups off-site, it can take hours or days following a site disaster to do a complete restore. Cloud hosting for disaster recovery offers many advantages for organizations, including reduced up-front capital costs and the ongoing maintenance associated with storing backup data for DR, along with the ability to scale capacity to meet the changing needs of their business.”
The joint Secure BDRcloud offering is now generally available to new and existing ExaGrid customers through ExaGrid’s network of resellers and ATScloud’s network of Managed Service Providers (MSPs).
ATScloud enables customers and partners to scale up by providing hybrid-cloud solutions. The company offers the unique integration of enterprise-class infrastructure, a comprehensive cloud platform, unmatched expertise in hybrid-cloud design and the first comprehensive hybrid-cloud security suite. These elements unite under one roof with ATScloud, enabling clients to enjoy Fortune 500-caliber IT functionality without the upfront investment of infrastructure and internal staffing. Find more information at www.ATScloud.com.
About ExaGrid Systems, Inc.:
ExaGrid offers the only disk-based backup appliance with data deduplication purpose-built for backup that leverages a unique architecture optimized for performance, scalability and price. ExaGrid is the only solution that combines compute with capacity and a unique landing zone to permanently shorten backup windows, eliminate expensive forklift upgrades, achieve the fastest full system restores and tape copies, and rapidly restore files, VMs and objects in minutes. With offices and distribution worldwide, ExaGrid has more than 5,200 systems installed at more than 1,600 customers, and more than 320 published customer success stories.
For more information, contact ExaGrid at 800-868-6985 or visit www.exagrid.com. Visit “ExaGrid’s Eye on Deduplication” blog: http://blog.exagrid.com/.
ExaGrid is a registered trademark of ExaGrid Systems, Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective holders.