Growing Number of Customers Now Use vRanger in Tandem with ExaGrid Disk Backup Appliance to Safeguard VMware Environments
ALISO VIEJO, Calif., Feb. 28, 2012 – Quest Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: QSFT) – As IT departments large and small grapple with the need to lower costs while operating more efficiently, trends like explosive data growth, shrinking VMware backup windows, aggressive RTOs, and the need for effective disaster recovery make it increasingly difficult for companies to ensure their virtual infrastructure is properly protected. As a result, a growing number of customers now turn to the combination of Quest Software and ExaGrid® Systems, Inc. to deliver highly optimized virtual data protection. Using Quest vRanger® in tandem with ExaGrid’s disk backup appliance provides customers with a highly efficient, disk-based backup solution tailored to meet the specific needs of VMware virtual environments.
Tweet This: See how @Quest and @ExaGrid combine to deliver optimal #VMware data protection: http://bit.ly/wOJItS.
Lee County Tax Collector Turns to Quest and ExaGrid for Fast, Efficient Protection
- To protect its growing VMware environment, which makes up 70 percent of the organization’s IT infrastructure and consists of 6 ESXi hosts running on vSphere 5, the Lee County Tax Collector’s Office realized it needed to modernize its backup and recovery strategy. The Office chose the combination of vRanger and ExaGrid to replace its tape library system.
- Using vRanger in tandem with ExaGrid has provided the Lee County Tax Collector with a fast, scalable and cost-effective way to back up and restore critical VMware virtual machines, and instantly replicate data to an offsite location, all while saving up to an hour of valuable IT staff time each day, by eliminating the time-consuming process associated with manual tape backups.
- Additional customers of note now leveraging vRanger in concert with ExaGrid include ABC Companies in Winter Garden, Fla.; Capital G Bank Limited in Bermuda; First State Bank in St. Clair Shores, Mich.; and Monroe Plan in Rochester, N.Y.
Disk-Based Backup with Data Deduplication for Virtual Environments
- The combination of vRanger and ExaGrid appliances delivers a highly efficient, disk-based backup solution with data deduplication that’s ideal for virtual environments, enabling customers to combat data growth, reduce their storage footprints, and ensure the rapid restore of critical VMware data.
- vRanger recognizes ExaGrid appliances as disk targets, meaning backups are automatically stored on the system. This tested and validated solution delivers a significant reduction in disk space requirements.
- vRanger features a patented Active Block Mapping (ABM) technology which quickly scans block maps to back up only changed blocks with active data. Combined with support for VMware Changed Block Tracking (CBT), this significantly reduces the amount of data transferred to the ExaGrid appliance, which then further reduces the backup size by up to 50-to-1 with its patented zone-level data deduplication process.
- Deploying vRanger in tandem with ExaGrid enables both image-level and file-level restores, and the native catalog in vRanger makes it both fast and easy to conduct granular recoveries. In addition, the joint solution allows customers to quickly and safely copy vRanger backups offsite by way of the ExaGrid appliance, and enables fast, reliable recoveries over the WAN in the event of a disaster.
- Ron Joray, network administrator, Lee County Tax Collector: “The combination of vRanger and ExaGrid delivers exactly what we need to ensure reliable protection of our growing virtual environment. The two products work together seamlessly, with almost no intervention required from the IT staff. We’ve been able to save both time and money, and the service we’ve received from both companies has been top notch.”
- Walter Angerer, senior vice president and general manager, data protection, Quest Software: “As they confront the many challenges associated with ensuring fast, reliable protection for their VMware data, customers are actively looking for best-of-breed technologies designed with the specific needs of the virtual environment in mind. Pairing our VMware Ready certified vRanger technology with ExaGrid’s leading-edge appliances enables customers to meet their challenges head on, and confidently grow their virtual infrastructures.”
- Marc Crespi, vice president of product management, ExaGrid Systems: “As virtual infrastructures continue to grow in 2012 and budgets continue to tighten, partnerships between leading companies become even more important. Pairing the ExaGrid disk backup system with vRanger has given our customers the rock solid foundation they need in order to expand and protect their number of VMs. The ExaGrid integration with vRanger directly addresses our customers’ needs by providing fast, scalable and cost-effective backups with deduplication for VMware environments. ExaGrid’s unique performance-based GRID architecture is the only approach that scales with full servers, adding both compute power and capacity, resulting in the shortest backup window that does not expand as your data grows, all while eliminating forklift upgrades and product obsolescence.”
- Quest Software, Inc.: http://www.quest.com/
- vRanger Community: http://communities.quest.com/community/vranger
- More Quest news: http://www.quest.com/newsroom/
- Twitter: http://mobile.twitter.com/quest
- Facebook: http://www.quest.com/facebook
- LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/
- Quest TV: http://www.quest.com/tv/
Established in 1987, Quest Software (Nasdaq: QSFT) provides simple and innovative IT management solutions that enable more than 100,000 global customers to save time and money across physical and virtual environments. Quest products solve complex IT challenges ranging from database management, data protection, identity and access management, monitoring, user workspace management to Windows management.
About ExaGrid Systems, Inc.:
ExaGrid offers the only disk-based backup appliance with data deduplication purpose-built for backup that leverages a unique architecture optimized for performance, scalability and price. The combination of post-process deduplication, most recent backup cache, and GRID scalability enables IT departments to achieve the shortest backup window and the fastest, most reliable restores, tape copy, and disaster recovery without performance degradation or forklift upgrades as data grows. With offices and distribution worldwide, ExaGrid has more than 4,000 systems installed at more than 1,200 customers, and 270 published customer success stories.
• Quest news releases: http://www.quest.com/rss/news-releases.aspx
Quest, Quest Software and the Quest logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Quest Software in the United States and certain other countries. vRanger is a trademark or registered trademark of Vizioncore Inc. in the United States and certain other countries. All other names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective owners.